Add These Tips to Your To-Do List
It’s springtime, which means many homeowners are busy cleaning and tidying up after the winter season. Your plumbing should be no different – here are some spring plumbing tips from our Greater Philadelphia plumbing experts:
- Check your faucets and fixtures for leaks. If you find any, repair as quickly as possible to save water.
- Make sure your gutters and downspouts are free from debris and buildup so that they can carry water away from your home properly.
- Check the temperature setting on your water heater. It should be set at no higher than 120 degrees to prevent scalding.
- If you don’t already have a flood alarm, consider installing one. It can alert you to potential flooding or leaks.
- Check the exposed pipes underneath the sink and in your basement to make sure they’re in good shape and not leaking.
- If your water heater is more than 15 years old, consider replacing it with a newer, more energy efficient model.
- Make sure your sump pump is working properly: pour a gallon of water in the pit and then activate the switch.
- Double-check the area around your furnace and your water heater to make sure no flammables are stored nearby.
- Pour a gallon of water down any drains that aren’t frequently used to flush the trap and prevent odors from entering the house.
- During your spring cleaning, make sure to include your bathtub, shower, sinks, faucets, and fixtures.
- Check to make sure your toilets are flushing correctly. If the handle needs to be held down to flush or jiggled to stop the water from running, you may need to replace some tank parts.
- Check your water supply valve by turning it on and off to make sure it isn’t sticking.
- Make sure that your bathtub and shower drains have strainers to prevent hair and debris from clogging up the pipes.
- Hook up your hose and make sure your outdoor spigots are working properly.
- Inspect your toilet bowls for any cracks or leaks.
If you happen to find a plumbing issue while following these tips, don’t hesitate to call our experts. We can address your problem quickly and get it fixed in no time.